Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Clown loach parasite and going pale

Posted By: Burrar (Canberra)
Date: Wednesday, 5 April 2000, at 12:29 p.m.

Hello

I've got seven clowns - 3 that I've had for about a year and are now approx 5 inches long and 4 that I bought a couple of months ago that are about 2 - 3 inches.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that one of my larger loaches had a series of black spots, about the size of a pin head on its body and fins. I was worried it was some kind of parasite and so treated the tank with Wardleys ParaEx. I did this at night. The bottle didn't mention that the dose should be halved for scaleless fish such as loaches and when I woke up in the morning and looked at the tank all my fish (neon, rummy nose, kerri, bloodfin tetras and bristlenoses) were all very pale. This included the loaches.

I immediately did a 70 percent water change and I haven't had any fatalities.

However, of my 7 clowns, two of the small ones are back to their normal colouration and 2