Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Getting to see those suboccular spines

Posted By: Brian Walters <bpw2388@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Monday, 10 April 2000, at 10:53 p.m.

Three days ago my largest pair of C. Nicraguense spawned in a piece of 2" PVC that usually belongs to the clowns. They are a very dedicated pair of parents and guard the opening of the tube 24/7. The clowns seem extremely curious and continuously pester them. I'm not sure if they want one of their homes back or are hungry for fry. Regardless, the Nicraguense chase them off relentlessly. Every few encounters a clown will flash the subocculars. They are only out for a fraction of a second and never cause any harm. It's more like a warning sign. "See what I can do!" type of thing. It's absolutely fascinating to watch.

A few minutes ago I took transfered all of the babies and the pipe to a hatchery tank. The pair freaked and started chasing everyone else. At my wife's urging, and that of the female Nicraguense, I moved the tube with about 50 wigglers (still sticky and not free swimming) back into the same spot in the big tank. In no time at all the pair was again at the entrance defending their remaining brood. The clowns allowed the pair to settle into their routine for a bit and then began again.

What fun fish can be!

Brian

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.