Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Missing fins

Posted By: Brian Melton <eomer@swbell.net>
Date: Saturday, 22 April 2000, at 11:47 a.m.

Greetings, I have a small tank with a rather large (6-inch) Weather Loach as one of its occupants. For a long while now before I brought it to this tank I've noticed that its caudal fin looked like it was rotting, and so I treated the tank for fin rot. It hasn't gotten any worse, but neither has it gotten any better. This morning I was watching him and noticed that his right pectoral fin was completely missing! I would very obliged if someone could give me an idea of what's going on and how to combat it.

The tank is 10 gallons with a normal rock substrate and a Penguin Mini filter. Its other inhabitants are a kuli loach, a rainbow shark, and three danios. The weather loach is the biggest fish in the tank and has never been molested (to my knowledge) by any of the others. Also, none of the other fish show any signs of fin