Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Substrates for loaches, revisited

Posted By: Iris <Iris6@aol.com>
Date: Tuesday, 2 May 2000, at 11:27 p.m.

Hello all!

As some of you know, I was considering sand as all or part of the substrate for the big loach tank. I understand that play sand, while clean, sterilized, and soft, is too fine and gets into the water easily when the fish stir it up - and it looks like the devil to vacuum, too.

Builder's sand was recommended as being clean, cheap, and not so fine that it would cause problems. Well, I checked out builder's sand the other day, and it seems so sharp that I wonder if it is suitable for loaches (or other "barbelled" fish) - small-size gravel seems much more smooth and easy on barbels. Any comments? Am I checking out the wrong stuff?

I also have been looking at fluorite (to mix with gravel) because it is supposed to be good for plants. I usually use laterite, but don't want to put laterite in a loach tank because I figure the loaches will just dig it out and stir it up. I have never used fluorite before. The description claims it does not affect pH - although I seem to have read (here?) that some people think it makes their pH more acid. Now, I don't mind this, because all the fish I keep enjoy slightly acid water (loaches, discus, tetras, etc.) Any experiences people want to share?

The BIG TANK did arrive a couple of weeks ago, I've just been so busy I haven't had the chance to start playing with it, but soon I will...

Thanks!

Iris

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.