Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Re: Heat, salt and gravel...

Posted By: Fran <WeSpy6466@aol.com>
Date: Monday, 8 May 2000, at 2:14 a.m.

In Response To: Re: clown loach & ich (darian)

Darian,

You do need to get that tank temp. to 85 degrees. It is at this temp. at least that ich cannot survive. (There are 3 stages of ich and I don't remember the actual names of each one.) But you need to maitain that 85 degree reading dhroughout the treatment. Darkening the tank is a good idea. Do that.

As far as salt goes I used the Doc Wellfish at the recommended dosage initially also. But an anti-salt person swayed me against using it and after a few days I stopped the salt. But, however, I was performing 40% water changes 2-3 times per week. I also siphoned the gravel each time I did a water change. But also keep in mind that this tank was over 2 years old at the time and overstocked.

Yes, there are some beneficial bacteria in the gravel, but in my opinion the majority of the good bacteria lie in your filter. How new is this tank? I don't remember if you said that in your original post. As far as media goes, be sure to remove the carbon during treatment. Do not change any filter media during this process either. You can rinse it out if necessary as you would do during normal tank maintenance. Hope I covered everything.

Fran....I did mention an airstone in my other post, right? If not, use one.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg