Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Re: Mom & Pop Shops

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@onlinetoday.com>
Date: Monday, 15 May 2000, at 11:45 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Mom & Pop Shops (christin)

I used to go on Aquarium Society "Fish Hops" all the time back in the PacNW. That was a while back though, and yes, you could find some unusual fish this way

Now I live near Dallas, and my schedule is much tighter, and I'm not aware of any fish clubs around here. I have, upon occasion, visited a good number of the shops via the Yellow Pages. Two of the best stores (reported to me by several folks before I arrived in the area) have turned out to be disappointments. Others I have visited have turned out to be nothing to write home about. I think I just got spoiled by what I experienced in the past.

Like you, I've worked in pet stores before. The best one I worked for (Albany Aquarium, in Albany, CA -- just north of Oakland), had a downstairs area full of Q-tanks. Many fish would be Q'd down there until they were healthy enough to sell. Most shops don't do this. Too bad they don't.

Messages In This Thread