Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Botia Modesta fins disappearing!

Posted By: Ellice <gkr6@earthlink.net>
Date: Wednesday, 17 May 2000, at 12:21 p.m.

Hi, I'm puzzled as to why my blue botia (modesta)'s fins are seemingly shrinking. They are not frayed or bitten. The fish has normal color and appearance, and acts normal (stays holed up under a cave decoration all the time). The tank (55 gal.) is doing fine, no major changes. I have 5 clowns, 2 botia modestas (the other one seems fine), a funny algae eater type fish (not a pleco), a clown pleco, a small catfish, 5 small long fin danios. My water tends to be alkaline, temperature stays in the middle to high 70's, I change the water regularly. I re-arranged the decorations recently to make room for more hideaways, so there was some re-shuffling of favorite spots to hang out, but things seemed to settle down pretty quick. Due to my fish's anti-social nature, I don't see him much, but my glimpses of him during cleanings tell me that other than his fins becoming alarmingly short, he seems otherwise normal. Its like his fins are disappearing, getting too small for his body, but they aren't discolored or diseased looking. Not that I can tell anyway, he doesn't make it easy to look close for very long. Any ideas? Should I be worried? (I am.) The other fish seem fine, so far. Thanks in advance for any advice or input!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.<