Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

I have a snail outbreak in my tank and am looking for some snail-eating loaches for my tanks...

Posted By: Leroy <LeroyC333@aol.com>
Date: Thursday, 25 May 2000, at 8:32 p.m.

Hello everyone, I am a first-time poster to this forum and I was wondering if you could help me with a problem. I have a brand-new 29 gallon tank that I have just recently set up, but unfortunately, there has been a snail outbreak in the tank from one of the plants that I purchased, and I am trying to find ways to control the snail population in the tank. I have heard that certain types of loaches will eat snails and try and dig in the substrate to try and find some for themselves in the tank to eat and so you can use them to help control the snail population in your aquarium. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? And if it is, which types of loaches do this sort of thing? I have heard that yo yo loaches do this sort of thing, but I do not know if this is true or not. Do yo yo loaches do this sort of thing? I cannot find any information on them under that name, is there another name that they are known by? Do any of you know of any loaches that find and eat snails in the aquarium? I am looking for a small size loach, preferably not more than 4 inches that eats snails and that does not mind a water temperature of about 75 degrees, since I keep my tank fairly cool, and also does not mind keeping company with some Neon Tetras and some Corydoras. Are there any loaches that are like this and can anyone suggest what type of loaches will fit this type of situation? Any and all help that you could give this beginner would be greatly appreciated, as I am new to this hobby, and would like to keep this new and interesting fish. Please post any information that you have on this subject as I know very little about loaches in general and I am eager to learn more. Thank you for your time and patience.

Messages In This Thread