Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Mr. Loach Now in New Home

Posted By: Ed Averill <eaverill@rabidgames.com>
Date: Thursday, 25 May 2000, at 11:24 p.m.

Ok, I went and rescued "Mr. Loach". He has a bit of an eye infection, and his fins appear to be shredded a bit, but nothing that I can't fix now that he's where I can take care of him. No fungus on the shredded fins, I suspect the several small to medium size angelfish in the lfs tank with him caused him problems - as well as the lack of hiding places, and the fact that all the rocks were the sharp-edged volcanic pumice that doesn't get the Loachkeeping Seal of Approval from me, for sure.

He's not in the best of shapes, but already after about 1/2 an hour in the tank all my current clowns have dropped by to introduce themselves and nobody has had even the least inclination to cause a fight. He (I assume, for now) is 6 1/4 inches long, Standard Length - with tail I'm not sure, I took him out of his holding bucket and plunked him into my 50gal. before I thought to measure him the rest of the way... sigh... it was amazing when he went in. He went and hid, then shifted from behind a plant to a mid-sized cave. All the other loaches in the tank got excited, and swam over one at a time to swim into the cave and check the new guy out! If this situation holds, he'll integrate into the group well. Even "Boss Loach" has dropped by for a hello and then left, no arguments started or anything...at least for now. Once he gets well and feels in top shape, I'll report again.

He's out exploring a little now. I've put algae tablets back in the area he seems to want to hang out in, and he's actually a bit smaller than I guessed - thank heavens! - and fits in all of the caves he's tried out so far, including the one I made especially for him (am I overboard on loaches or what?).

I'm going to treat the tank before I go to bed with some stuff to help out with the eye problem - it looks as if a wound got infected a bit - and to make sure that there's less of a chance for fungus to form on the shredded parts of his fins. I know I'm taking a chance with him not in the best of health, but from my examination and observation of his behavior at the lfs over the past weeks I have to guess he's been harassed by all the other fish in the lfs and and he had nowhere to hide at all! I'm 100% sure I can do a better job of taking care of him, at a minimum (no slight in general on the help at the lfs - SOME of the folks there are knowledgable - but they're not loachkeepers).

I want to extend a special thanks to Iris for the loan of a very clean transportation bucket and the trip to and from the lfs! The Loach Rescue Team strikes again!

I'm over the edge! This is worse than having a new kid, maybe I should take a tranquilizer or something...

..ed..

Messages In This Thread