Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Plants as NitrAte reducers

Posted By: Francisco D'Anconia <wlk-arr@pacbell.net>
Date: Sunday, 4 June 2000, at 12:51 a.m.

Do plants utilize the NitrAtes made by the beneficial bacteria in the biological filter? If so, what plants use the most or fastest? Since nitrogen compounds are used by plants to make new growth, are fast growing plants necessarily the ones that use the most nitrogen?

My 29 gal. community tank has 5 clown loaches amongst many other fish and is planted with a few Amazon swords, two small Cryptocoynes, and one struggling Anubia. Ammonia and nitite are absent, but I suspect nitrAtes are high despite bi-weekly 25% water changes. Lately there is significant growth of beard algae on rocks & driftwood. Two SAE were introduced, and they do eat the algae, but they're just keeping it in check, not reducing it.

I get conflicting results when I use the 2 different nitrAte te