Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Re: Plants.....Until there eaten...........

Posted By: Dr. Momfish <gkadar@idirect.ca>
Date: Sunday, 4 June 2000, at 2:14 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Plants.....Until there eaten........... (john)

My loaches must be excellent citizens judging by the huge plantation of Cryptocoryne literally trying to bust out of their tank. They take bites out of the Rubin Sword periodically consuming an entire new leaf but generally they leave everything else alone including Jungle val, hygrophila polysperma etc.etc. I can't remember the names of all the different plants in the tank. Nor are they interested in water sprite, water lettuce, salvinia or duckweed.

I have found though that they do enjoy eating Amazon swordplants and Mexican oakleaf (just mow it down).

For some reason they do not find Cryptocoryne wendtii or becketti in the least interesting.

These days the loaches aren't even interested in lettuce, zucchini, cucumber or peas. Neither are they interested in baby guppies. :( Maybe they're too well fed. The buggers won't even eat Ramshorn snails or pondsnails. I've got some really enormous snails in the tank - at least 1 inch in diameter. What gives?

One food I've recently tried out is Hikari Carnivore Pellets. They smell to high heaven and fish absolutely go crazy over them.

Messages In This Thread