Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Homaloptera Did Spawn!!!!

Posted By: jim powers <jimpowers@prodigy.net>
Date: Sunday, 4 June 2000, at 2:39 p.m.

About two weeks ago, I reported on this forum that I had seen my homaloptera engaged in what appeared to be spawning behavior. Well, last night, I noticed a very small fish, about the size of a large bloodworm, grazing on a piece of driftwood. This morning, I saw two more. One was attempting to come out of the spaces between the gravel, next two the glass. Since I only reported spawning activity on May 18, I can't believe these littles devils would have hatched and grown to this size already. maybe there had been spawning prior to the May 18 incedent. I have never seen the behavior before that though. While they do appear to be homaloptera, they could also be gastromyzon. They are so small its hard to be for sure. They are very quick and wary and managed to avoid the schistura in the tank. Unfortunately, I have no place to put the schistura and catching these fry would be next too impossible as small as they are. Fortunately, the gravel seems to provide some refuge as does the beds of java moss and other plants. I don't have a digital camera, but I think I can borrow one to take some pictures if they survive and get a bit bigger. Wish me luck!!

Messages In This Thread