Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Re: Black brush algae

Posted By: Iris <Iris6@aol.com>
Date: Sunday, 4 June 2000, at 9:58 p.m.

In Response To: Black brush algae (Dr. Momfish)

I've gotten blue-green algae in tanks with that much water flow, so I think the blue-green may still have something to do with nitrAtes, since I let the nitrAtes go up in those tanks.

However, I have had some tanks with high water flow where the *direction* of the flow caused more gunk to be collected by the filter - so that there was almost nothing left to vacuum, but I had to change filter pads more often. No blue-green algae ever. The connection here is obvious - water flow directed such that gunk ends up in filter pad (frequently replaced) instead of gravel = less waste breaking down in tank = less nitrAtes resulting.

Re: the black beard algae - you might be right about water flow there. I only had the black stuff once (really ruined my plants and the pleco wouldn't eat it), and the tank in question was very quiescent even though the nitrAtes were low.

Iris

Messages In This Thread