Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

What Was It? "Bristlenose" or Hillstream Loach?

Posted By: Melissa
Date: Tuesday, 6 June 2000, at 12:27 p.m.

Not long ago, I saw a tankful of what the lfs was calling "Rubber Plecos". they didn't look like any Pleco I'd ever seen, so I went home and started looking in the Atlas. The picture that came closest was of a Bristlenose (don't make me go look up the scientific nomenclature), so I bought one. It became horribly ich-infested after a few days, and wound up dying, along with most of my other inhabitants (looong and nasty story). To make a long story short, I came across an article on Hillstream Loaches the other day, and one of the pictures in the article looks just like that fish. The lfs still has a few, and I looked them over again yesterday. They are small, ~2", pale brown with very fine vertical lines (like "pencilling", if it were a bird) in a slightly darker shade. The snout is rounded, and the s