Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Clowns a'quarrelling

Posted By: Tibor <tibor@tiborsrealm.com>
Date: Friday, 23 June 2000, at 7:24 p.m.

Hi all,

I procured a couple clowns about two weeks ago. Actually, I bought one, came here, saw they're lonely alone and bought a second a couple hours later (I'd been reading up on them beforehand and recognized them at the local fish shop immediately, but somehow forgot that two is the least number to keep). Either way, they both have very distinct personalities, and I'm very fond of the second one, because he tends to hang out in the tank with me when his buddy runs to their cave for rest and safety.

Four days ago I realized they were quarrelling. I saw them "greyed out" and thought for a moment that tank conditions had suddenly gone downhill, but then saw them locking lips and pushing each other against the glass. They're still fighting, and it is kinda starting to bother me because my outgoing one seems to either be loosing or getting ill; he's never fully colored anymore - always a very dark charcoal, but not black like my other. Their stripes, that is. I cannot imagine him being ill, however, because he eats like a horse in my presence.

My question is, does this mean that he's loosing? And how long do they generally continue to fight? Oftentimes now he comes out of the fight a light grey whilst the "timid" little monster is jet black already. I wish he'd just give up and follow the leader so he quits getting beaten up!

Any advice and/or reassurance appreciated. I'm really getting attached to these two fish!

Tibor.

Messages In This Thread