Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

conditioning clowns to breed

Posted By: Sallie <ssb1@pitt.edu>
Date: Tuesday, 27 June 2000, at 10:55 a.m.

Please share any information you gave on the temperature ranges, water conditions etc that clown loaches experience in the wild. Surely it is known, yet I have had a very hard time learning much. When I bred Dojo's, it was necessary to cool them over winter or the eggs were invariably bad. I wonder if the reason my clownfish eggs were bad is because the parents had not been properly conditioned. I have obtained and attempted to read the two German publications mentioned at this site and got only minor information and some mention that conditioning was important even for hormone induced breeding. I have heard rumors that they breed in rice patties. They like hot water, vegies, soft water, mud etc. The DoJos are probably not a good example since they are really a cold water fish. We have them