Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Sand Substrate & Malasian Trumpet Snails

Posted By: Judy <jmz@capital.net>
Date: Wednesday, 28 June 2000, at 10:51 p.m.

Well, I'm on vacation & I spent all day yesterday removing my UGF and replacing the gravel with playsand. I did the vinegar and magnet tests and got no adverse reactions. After washing (which took a long, long, long time), I layed down a 1 inch layer. I previously had a medium dark blue gravel and the one thing I noticed was the reticulated catfish have lightened up in response to the light colored sand. Just an observation.

My question for this tank is: Should I add the MTSs directly to the tank or should I place them in the Q-tank? I've never had snails so I don't know if they can transmit any diseases to the fish.

I read these snails were good for aerating the sand and actually cleaning up some of the fish waste. Correct or no?

Another question - If these snails do aerate the sand, could I add more sand? The bottom looks a little sparse compared to the amount of gravel I used to have.

Also, will the MTSs reproduce so if I go to sand in the BIG tank, I'll already have a supply. Actually, this answer can wait. It was a lot of work changing over the 45 gal tank. I'm not sure I'll even do the 120 gal considering the time and price. My lfs has recommended a minimum of 120 pounds of the black sand they carry. They've offered a discount, but $70 + tax is a bit steep considering I only paid $2 for a 50 lb bag of playsand and still have a lot left (I bought 2 bags not knowing how much I would need - I only used a very small fraction of 1 bag). Maybe I could use a mixture of the black sand & light sand I already have that will not wash out the colors of the loaches yet still keep the price of the changeover within limits. Of course, then I might not get as good a discount, if any. They offered a reduced price of $3.49 /5 lb bag down to $2.90 per bag. I hate choices like this.

I do like the looks of the changed tank though. It is much brighter now (the fish probably don't like it as much as I do though).

Since it is so late, I've decided to put the snails in the Q tank. I don't know how long they would last if I left them in the bag until a got a response to this post. TIA for you help.

Judy

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg |