Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Clowns an cichlids; an acceptable match?

Posted By: Tibor Kun <tibor@tiborsrealm.com>
Date: Friday, 14 July 2000, at 5:18 p.m.

Hi all,

I'm starting to research cichlids, and I have a question. I'm not going to act on this until I have at least a 55-gallon tank but...

Can clown loaches co-exist with an African Lake Malawi cichlid? I ask because it seems to me that this would be tough on them. I've read the cichlids' requirements to be hard water and a pH of eight plus. I guess what I'm dealing with here is two groups of fish; one group that is from the soft, filtered waters of a river and another that is from a stagnant lake that absorbs minerals from its bed. I suppose I could just have a river tank and a lake tank, but I'd rather put them together. If the clowns won't appreciate my consolidation efforts, can you recommend a loach or other fish that will clean the bottom every night in a cichlid tank? I don't see my clowns as maids, but I'll need something to clean up after those cichlids besides just me, and my previous ghost shrimp aproach would probably just add pollution if not completely eaten! :-)

Thanks in advance; any advice will be helpful. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy to even consider the combination if that's the case!

Tibor.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33<