Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Re: Clowns an cichlids; an acceptable match?

Posted By: Tibor <tibor@tiborsrealm.com>
Date: Saturday, 15 July 2000, at 3:13 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Clowns an cichlids; an acceptable match? (Iris)

Hmm... I haven't seen mention of the still water preference, but I've not covered all the information yet. Considering that they are shaped more bluntly than the loaches and live in a lake, it certainly makes sense! Perhaps a bubble wand or two to aid in aeration without stirring up too much of a current?

I'll look for a cichlid message board in the morning. All these message boards. :-)

Synodontis petricola was recommended by the board you referred me to. After checking their photos, I'm ready to look more deeply at their needs and character. Definitely cute little guys!

The need for two tanks definitely sets me back, but oh well. All things considered, it appears that cichlids grow a lot faster than clowns, and I don't want them growing up and eating or bullying mine, so I'd have had to wait on them anyway I guess. Perhaps I should investigate additional loaches for the first 55-gallon, and complete my "river tank" first before considering seriously any others.

Actually, I see three tanks in my future. I went to a really cool site that had a Greek fish store owner's aquarium themes on display (linked below) and now want to add a third tank with a bonsai-type pond/garden (she calls it "The Water Garden") with a couple small koi-like goldfish if I can find any that don't grow a foot long. Don't know a thing about goldfish!

Either way, good things come to those who wait, right? And like I've seen you say before, who needs furniture? :-)

Tibor.

Patrizia Spinelli's aquariums

Messages In This Thread