Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

High pH - long post

Posted By: Judy <jmz@capital.net>
Date: Monday, 24 July 2000, at 10:40 p.m.

OK, it seems like the only time I ever post is when I have a problem or question. Here's my dilema. What, if anything, should I do about the high pH of my tap water. I don't treat the water except to remove chlorine and I do a 37% water change every week. The tank is a 120 gal so this works out to about 35 gal each week. The pH used to be 8.0 (I know that's high for loaches but I didn't want to get into chemistry mismanagement and I guess I was lax in doing my homework on loach requirements before setting up - I wanted them so bad). The operative words here are "used to be 8.0". A recent check of my pH showed it has gone up to 8.2 both out of the tap and now in the tank.

What should I do to manage the pH? My lfs said I should treat the water before adding it to the tank. Since I use a Python for water changes this is not feasible.

My thoughts on a way to do this. This is probably overkill & I don't know if I could afford it anyway. Here goes:

Set up a 33(?) gal rubbermaid trash barrel, filled with water to be treated to lower pH prior to adding to tank during a water change.

I've got room in the garage for such a container, but what about pumping the water from there to the tank (about 60 feet away) using python tubing. Also, the garage floor is 46 inches below the living room floor (not to mention the top of the tank which is 53 inches from the floor. Is there a pump that could handle something like this? Cost?? Note that because of medical reasons I am not able to lug 35 gal of water to do the water changes.

Also, I live in the northeast so this garage gets really cold in the winter. What kind of heater could handle maintaining a constant temp of 80 degrees F. Cost??

I've probably over analyzed this to the point of being ridiculous. Plus, after reading this, the logistics sound like a nightmare. I would like to hear if there is an easier and cheaper way. Can the water be treated after being added to the tank rather than before?

Thanks for your help.

Judy

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.