Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Who eats what? An update...

Posted By: Iris <Iris6@aol.com>
Date: Wednesday, 26 July 2000, at 5:39 p.m.

This post is a collection of various items regarding food that have come up from other threads I've been involved in:

To Jim Powers: I put a Java Fern in with the Malaysian Trumpet snails and they crawl up and down it, but leave it alone. Admittedly these are a different type of snail than yours, and no doubt smaller, too. But the guy I got the Java Fern from has a big ramshorn and it doesn't eat the Java Fern, either. I suspect your frogs are the culprits. About Java Moss, I don't know, since I don't have any.

About Marrow: I talked to some local organic growers I know, and they don't have anything that answers the description. They said they'd grow it, too, if they had it - sounded good to them. So, I guess there's no marrow in this country (USA). No wonder I'd heard of it only by reading British books.

About banana: My modestas tasted it and ate a little, but they were not enthused and left the rest of it alone. Oh, well...

About carnivorous modestas: After being spoiled by frozen bloodworms, spirulina tabs, Omega flakes, and their latest favorite, Aquaricare Earthworm Sinkers, my modestas have turned up their barbels at the thought of actually having to *chase* their food. So now I have a guppy population in my modesta tank. Eventually, I gave up and started feeding the modestas other things again...

Iris - "Modestas will eat only the fish you don't want them to eat"

(Apologies to Danio Man for stealing your quote format)

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.