Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Hello, Introduction, and Question

Posted By: Manda <manda@netcom.com>
Date: Thursday, 27 July 2000, at 4:34 p.m.

Hi folks: I've been lurking around the depths of this board for the past few weeks, loach-like, and I figured it was time to introduce myself. I'm a newbie fish person, having gone completely around the bend after "rescuing" some pathetic goldfish in a 10 g tank from a friend. Now I'm in the scary world of water chemistry and plant fertilizer and community aqauriums--I bought a 37 g tank with all the bells and whistles. I've had it for a few months now, and the cycling was successful, and my tetras (green fire and neon), and zebra danios are still alive. (Hooray!) I've found myself one of those great lfs where they grill you like a drill sargeant and you have to pass muster before you can buy anything, and basically I'm in fish heaven.

OK, for the relevance part (here comes the loach talk....) I did something kind of bad, and that was do an impulse buy at one of those pet-mart stores. I bought a loach--a really great fish, by far my favorite in the tank--from a clerk who didn't know what it was ("maybe a catfish?"). I can't find anything in any of my books, or on any web site, that looks *exactly* like him. Yo-yos come close, except he looks like a yo-yo negative--he's mostly black with silver stripes, instead of the other way around. Also, I've read that yo-yos can be kind of mean, and he's not. He's mellow happy loach. He's a bit territorial about his log, but only if a danio tries to go in. The rest of the time he completely ignores everybody.

I know it's hard to supply a name without a photo, but he's pretty shy still and won't pose!

TIA, Manda (who'll never impulse buy again! unless it's shoes....)

Messages In This Thread