Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

coconuts and clay pots

Posted By: rob <surreal_boy@yahoo.com>
Date: Friday, 4 August 2000, at 10:53 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Clay Pot Cave (Mike Ophir)

mike- they may be outta season, but you can get a nice juicy coconut at the grocery store. after you suck out the "milk" and eat the "flesh", you'll have a shell. ive never done this myself, but i understand the shell can be used in a tank after its been dried, and of course an opening or "doorway" can be easily busted out...

as for claypot caves, my aquarium is decorated exclusively with terracotta flower pots. what i did was, i bought a bunch, and attacked them with a penny nail and a hammer. you can get pretty clean splits with a bit of practice, and the "mistakes" made for pretty good caves as well. also, a smallish pot makes a good cave unbroken. i also like to knock a lil "door" out of a pot, and then set it upside down. my kribs like to get busy in there=).

it takes up a lot of visual space, but i also have what the gardeners call a "strawberry pot" in there. it's tuff to find them small enuff to fit in a 12" wide tank, but i got mine at home depot for round 7 or 8 bucks. all of my fish make frequent use of it. the kribs play iin it endlessly, the danios zip in n out of it's many holes, and the loaches know that some of the brine and bloodworms that i feed collect in the bottom of the thing. you can always spot them in there after theyve polished off all the worms still floating round the tank...

if you don't know what a strawberry pot is, its a tall, fairly narrow terra cotta pot with the normal big opening up top...this opening is slightly more narrow than the rest of the pot. the cool part is that there's a number of other holes all around the sides at 2 or more different levels. hit your local garden shop or home depot type spot and ask em for one...

maureen, didja try the loach subway system? if so, how did it work?

Messages In This Thread