Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Clown tank dust crisis!

Posted By: Tibor <tibor@tiborsrealm.com>
Date: Wednesday, 9 August 2000, at 7:46 p.m.

Hi all,

Subject get ya? :-) Urgent question - anyone have any tips for getting "dust" out of the tankwater? I'm running a 20-gallon tank with a TopFin 30-gallon tank filter (crumby filter, I think, but it all came bundled). I don't want to get a new one, because I'm saving for my 55-gallon. And it's never been this bad, either. It's due a gravel cleaning (done twice weekly), but sheesh! Anyway, I'm worried because I read that clowns don't like DOC, and while this obviously isn't dissolved since it's visible, it's definitely turning my water "milky".

My first and immediate knee-jerk reaction has been to affix a coffee filter to the uptube of the power filter; the water flow has halved since I did this, so I think I have successfully forced the water through the filter. I can't keep it in there long, though, I would think, as it'll undoubtedly deteriorate. I'm about to do a 50% water change (clowns are used to it and tap is usually 79F to the 80F the tank's kept at).

Anyway, any cool tricks besides buying a diatomic filter would be much appreciated! The filter cartridge doesn't really have that much carbon in it; would adding more help any? It's also less than a week old (the cartridge), so I know the carbon hasn't "dumped" or anything like that. The tank's never crystal clear, and has been worse (pre-clowns). Meanwhile, I'm reducing feed because I usually overfeed anyways. Oh, and I also corys which might be sensitive to it too? Oh, and I just cleaned out the whole friggin' filter just over half a week ago because it was coated in brown algae. Could be the problem? I also returned home today to find stuff crystalizing on my glass

I'm sweating erectible spines here! Thanks in advance!

Tibor.

Messages In This Thread