Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Sickness that made me sick to watch

Posted By: Kelly <kscoventry@polarcom.com>
Date: Monday, 14 August 2000, at 6:18 p.m.

Hello,

I'm a first time visitor here, and I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have regarding an illness one of the clown loaches had. I say "had" as the poor thing died and ugly, ugly death over the weekend.

First off let me explain that the tank I'm talking about is not mine. It belongs to one of my co-workers who is away on vacation right at the moment. She had five loaches at the beginning of the year but over time 4 of them have died on her. The first three all died of that "wasting away" thing. The last one was not that lucky.

I first noticed the usual type things happening to it. Not much activity and a loss of colour from black to grey. Within a few days spots began to show up on parts of its body, then it was like it was being eaten away by something I couldn't see. The missing chunks were all over its body, but mostly towards its head. I set up a hospital tank and took it home so I could care for it better. I used the medication given to me at the pet store and followed the instructions to the letter. The loach seemed to be holding its own right up until yesterday. When I looked at him around noon yesterday all of those horrible spots seemed to be ringed with red and its poor body had swollen up to half again the size it was, it only lasted for a short time after. Does anyone out there have any idea what happened to the poor thing? I wouldn't be too concerned but there is the one left in the tank and I would like to be better prepared if it starts to show the same symtoms.

Thanks for your help.

Kelly

Messages In This Thread