Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Unusual Clown Loach Behavior

Posted By: Linnea <dreamingtree@nospam.psn.net>
Date: Wednesday, 16 August 2000, at 6:06 p.m.

I have three clown loaches in a 20 gallon tank (they're all only about 2 inches right now). Something frightening happened with my loaches yesterday, though. Normally they just rough house with each other, but today two of them were full on fighting. I couldn't really do much about it, so I left for work and when I came back one of my loaches was floating upside down at the top of the tank. As soon as I took another step towards the aquarium, though, he literally jumped to life (out of the water for a second) and speedily ran to a hiding spot and I haven't seen him since. I don't know what that means. My loaches tend to pick peculiar resting positions (one props himself up against the glass and "stands" for HOURS. It's hilarious. He acts like his two little fins are legs and is prefectly vertical). I love them so much! But I'm really worried about the floating and the fighting. But when I woke up this morning, I noticed what looks like a nest in the corner by the heater - some plant material has been brought up there and there are hundreds of what I am guessing are eggs. I would say that these are possibly my gourami's, but I think he's a male (I'm pretty new to fish keeping) and one of my loaches (the floater from last night I'm pretty sure) is constantly up there. I can't tell if he's eating the little bubbles or protecting them, but my loaches very rarely go to the surface and if so it's only to dive back down the the bottom. I know this post is rather lengthy, but I'd really like to know what's going on wit my favorite fish. Oh, and there has been no more fighting since that incident yesterday, and occasionally the other two loaches will go up and visit the one that's hanging out on thesurface...very strange. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks! Linnea

Messages In This Thread