Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

High pH problem

Posted By: Yvette <yvettefranz@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 22 August 2000, at 7:22 p.m.

First, I posted here a few weeks ago with a serious ick problem with my clown loaches. Many of you gave me great advice, and I wanted to thank you for that. I believe I am winning that battle, the little clown loach is nearly spot-free (over 3 weeks later....)

This battle, however brought a problem to my attention that probably was directly responsible for the ick outbreak in the first place. My pH levels are over 7.4 (as high as my kit goes)! I do 1/4 water changes every other day (in my ick fighting regimen) and using pH down (something I do not like to do) gradually, over a few days get the ph down to 6.8 or 6.9. But the next day, bam, right back up. I heard that driftwood helps bring down , and I got a piece over the internet from Aquarium Driftwood in Semmes Alabama (nice folks). If that doesn’t do the trick, could someone tell me about treating with Peat? Is that like the peat you pot plants in? Do you put it in your filter?

Messages In This Thread