Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

I gave this some more thought and

Posted By: Danio Man <kennethb@cisunix.unh.edu>
Date: Sunday, 17 September 2000, at 8:49 a.m.

In Response To: donating to aquarium better idea (Danio Man)

I just thought I would reiterate just how important it is to not release captive animals into the wild. Many readers may find it disturbing, but it is actually preferable to "put the animal down" rather than release to the wild.

One of the hardest things I have ever had to do (as an individual who conducts animal research) is to put down a flock of birds that I worked with nearly every day of my first 3 years in grad school, while conducting foraging research in a large outdoor coop facility. However, in order to preserve the integrity of natural ecosystems, this was preferred over releasing them. Now, when you work with a creature every day for so long, you can get attached to it and the fact that they had to be put down really bothered me, but the alternative of release had far less desireable consequences. In fact, I would have found myself in a world of trouble with the university had I done so.

Anyway, just thought I would share this.

DM

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.