Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Very interesting and unusual observations !!!!!!!

Posted By: Suzanne <Loachfreaks@earthlink.net>
Date: Friday, 20 October 2000, at 12:23 p.m.

OK guys...here's the scoop:

My last few post reguarding my loach play has just taken a new turn. I have been interacting with my loaches for ten to fifteen minutes at a time and testing and observing their reactions. So far, two yoyos, three striatas, five clowns, one modesta and one L.guilenensis has exhibited the sparing behavior initiated by me.

-the clowns act as a group and guard their territory as a group
-the yoyos, modesta, and guilenensis act on their own.
-the striatas sort of jump in on the spar and try to get in a few spinies.

All of the loaches mentioned exihibited the following behavior:

-they start with a staredown initiated by me.
-they arch their backs and shake thier fins and bring their heads up and do the staredown again.
-during the staredown they give the loach lips and that seems to be an insult or, an invite to spar.
-they then take the stance and do a combo of all the above mentioned.
-finally they seem to tilt sideways and show the spines and then start all over again.

Here is what I found REALLY interesting:

-All of the loaches seemed to recognized my face and my lips. I was re-enacting the "loach lips" and they started doing it too. I thought this was a coincedence until i would do it singly and they would answer me back with it.
-I acted like i was taking over a piece of their territory (a piece of driftwood in the front of the tank) and they fought me for it. I won. Whenever my back is turned, they will go and sit on it to spite me but when i sit back down in my usual position they leave or try again to fight me for it.
-all of my experiments were conducted from an eyelevel position.

OK there it is :)
I thought this was too cool to pass up sharing. Maybe i need "HELP" but oh well.

Hope you enjoy the findings

Suzanne

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.