Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Clowns, and Levamisole hydrochloride

Posted By: Ian <mfoco@hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, 27 October 2000, at 9:48 a.m.

Does anyone know if Levamisole hydrochloride (for treating the "Clown Loach worm") is readily available here in the UK? I think many over-counter drugs in the US are prescription-only in the UK.

I've seen no symptoms of this disease, but as my clowns are new residents I'm hardly likely to yet. There were lots of them in the LFS, all much the same size, so I'm wondering if they came from a farm rather than the wild so maybe don't have the parasite. But you can never be certain, and I understand the treatment is harmless.

I'm also not sure how best to lower the pH of the tank if I am to treat it, as my tap-water is at least 7.8 pH. I guess peat in the filter is a reasonable bet - I left out the carbon when I set the tank up, so there is room in the canister