Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Wasting away..

Posted By: Amanda <welliver@pconline.com>
Date: Friday, 3 November 2000, at 6:16 p.m.

I'm posting here again which means, of course, that my loaches are having trouble.

Background: I have a 135 gallon tank that contains a handful of tetras and 8 clown loaches - two large ones (6 and 8 inches) and 6 that are around 3 inches. All of them have been in my possession for at least two years. The smaller ones were purchased from their previous owner who had them a minimum of a year. The tetras are the newest inhabitants and have been there for six months.

Within the past 4-6 weeks, three of the smaller loaches have begun to waste away. One is down to skin and bones and is hardly eating - he'll pick up a shrimp pellet at feeding time, but then drops it without even taking a bite. The only thing he seems to swallow are frozen bloodworms.

I've read the FAQ and I understand that this is likely an inte