Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Strange disease?

Posted By: Charlotte <zoomer@alaska.net>
Date: Saturday, 4 November 2000, at 10:46 p.m.

Recently, I have been having a disease problem in my 55 gallon tank. In it, I had six clown loaches:
one was a baby(only an inch long), the four others are about 4 inches, and my biggest is 5 or 6 inches. One day I noticed my second smallest one had some kind of white, ragged looking growths on the edge of its tail fin. I treated the whole tank for about maybe 5 days, and the white stuff almost was totally gone, but the loach refused to eat anything, and just hovered in one spot for most of the time.
I have other loaches in the tank, but none of them caught this strange illness. It was centered on my clown loaches. Apparently it was contagious, because soon my third smallest clown loach had it. The first loach that had caught it was to far in and died of starvation. Nothing worked on the second loach, and it soon died of the disease, too. Next my baby loach and third biggest loach caught it(by now I understood if I didn't move my prized 5 incher and his buddies, they would get it also). I moved the diseased loaches in another tank to try another treatment, but that didn't help. Now I have only 3 clown loaches left. Four had died of the disease. I'm afraid to put the healthy ones back into the tank for fear the virus is still lurking in the tank. To describe the disease itself a little more, it started on the tail fin's edge, and after a few days time began to spread into the fin. The tail fin did not rot away, which would indicate fin rot. I thought it might be some kind of fin congestion, but I'm not sure. Has anyone seen or heard of this disease before?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.