Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Clown Loach Question/Experiences

Posted By: Harold Holmes <hholmes@lincolnbeach.com>
Date: Wednesday, 15 November 2000, at 1:05 p.m.

About 4 months ago I bought a 10 gallon tank to put on my desk. I started with 5 zebra danios and after the tank was broke in I got 3 Clown Loaches. After all the reading I did I couldn't wait for the show to begin. Well they just sat there in their little cave, they would dart out every so often but they were basically non-existent! Now I've had them for 3 months they are finally starting to open up! They come over to the corner of the tank closest to me, like they are watching me, instead of visa-versa!

It is fun to feed them chunks of frozen brine shrimp. The Danios perform drive by body slams to help break them up as they thaw out. Then when the frozen block sinks the loaches take over, it is like watching a soccer match! They bat at it with their tales and then scarf up the offerings.

One thing I am curious about is that all 3 were nearly the same size when I bought them and now two have really grown noticeably larger than the 3rd. The larger two will change colors, either the black strips will change to gray or the orange stripes will get very dark. What causes this? I've seen mention of the color changes in other messages and web sites but nothing about what causes it.

Oh also discovered that one of my kids must have played with the heater and turned it down, the water temp was at 69F for a few days, didn't phase any of the fish!

Best Regards,
Harold Holmes
Lincoln Beach Software
http://www.lincolnbeach.com

My 10 Gallon Desktop Tank

Messages In This Thread