Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Burrowing modestas

Posted By: Ed Averill <eaverill@rabidgames.com>
Date: Saturday, 18 November 2000, at 12:42 a.m.

I don't recall ever seeing anything like this behavior posted before, so here's something to add to the infinite list of loachy behaviors:

I've recently started slowly moving my modestas to a larger tank (still temporary, but it's 6gal. bigger - and far longer - than their current tank). The gravel in this tank varies from 1in. to 2in. deep and is modestly fine-grained. I plunked in driftwood and set slate across the tops to create "loach condos"... well, this didn't last long..

My modestas have literally dug tunnels under the driftwood - through the gravel - buried some pieces, moved the gravel to open back entrances while blocking front ones, shoved one piece of driftwood about 2 inches across the gravel, and generally rearranged the _entire_ tank over last night and today. The two morletis in the tank with the modestas have taken it all in stride, but I'm not so calm about it! The tank looks very close to nothing like it did when I originally arranged it, and even as I type this I hear gravel being tossed about again. I'm afraid to look and see what they've done this time... maybe a tunnel across the whole tank!

I'm sure nobody has information on whether or not they do this in the wild, but since they did it to a limited extent in their original tank it must be pretty natural for them. Has anyone else seen similar behavior from their modestas?

This is with only 3 modestas in the tank, there are at least 4 more to move over (and three more morletis). I'm going to end up with a tank that looks like an ant farm, lots of tunnels with modestas swimming back and forth in them!

If they pull any other interesting stunts I'll post them as well. If I can get my video camera functioning maybe I can get some footage of them and plunk it up on my Web site... if they cooperate...

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.