Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Maracide may be toxic to Homaloptera "lizardfish"

Posted By: Francis Lynch <flynch@interaccess.com>
Date: Sunday, 26 November 2000, at 11:20 p.m.

A few months ago I purchased three fish offered in my LFS as "lizardfish", which I believe are balitorid hillstream loaches of the genus Homaloptera. (The loach species index lists a "lizard loach" of unknown species; these fish also closely resemble the Homaloptera stephensoni listed in the index.) I recently acquired a fourth individual and placed it and the original three fish in an aquarium with four clown loaches, a Chinese butterfly hillstream loach (Gastromyzon sp.), and a bristlenose pleco. Unfortunately, the clown loaches came down with a bad case of ick, which I treated first with Coppersafe, and then, when that seemed ineffective, with Maracide, a commercially available anti-ick medication