Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Questions from the uneducated regarding dojos.

Posted By: Cheri <csmith444@hotmail.com>
Date: Saturday, 2 December 2000, at 8:06 p.m.

I have a couple of questions. The first, how can I tell if my fish are male or female? I only have 3 and can only compare them to each other. Does it matter if they are male or female in regards to how they act towards each other?
Also, I currently have medium sized rocks in my tank. I have read that a "sandy substrate" may be more appropriate for my dojos. Is this just plain old sand or something else? If this is sand, what is the easiest way to clean my tank and how do I keep it from getting muddy and food from imbedding itself into the sand? Am I OK to just keep the existing rocks on the bottom (I have a few plastic plants and larger rocks with holes large enough for them to hide in)?
I have also read somethi