Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Dead Danio

Posted By: John Riley <jriley@wizard.net>
Date: Monday, 18 December 2000, at 8:12 p.m.

This isn't a loach post, but I've been told you guys are the best around. I've had a 10-gallon tank for 5 weeks now and have added 2-3 fish weekly. Started with two zebra danios and worked up to 10 fish (6 small tetras, 2 zebra danios, 2 smallish mollies). I've been doing 25% water changes weekly, and the fish seemed fine, swimming around nicely. Water temp a constant 79.

Then I noticed small white spots on the fins of the tetras! Ich, I figured.

I got a water test kit just to check it out. Ph 7.0-7.2, ammonia undetectable, but nitrite seemed real high. It's hard to tell. Using Fresh Care Multi Test, the nitrite readings are coming back red instead of purple (for high nitrite), but I'm guessing 0.5 ppm or higher.

Then I discovered one of the danios (unkillable, I was told) wrapped around the filter intake stem! Grim. I d