Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Thank you all: Was I killed my fish

Posted By: Luke Taylor <taylorl@staples.com>
Date: Thursday, 21 December 2000, at 10:09 a.m.

First thank you all for the kind words and the support. I now have a very empty tank as the loaches were dead when I arrived home last night, the Rasboras, suffered the same fate with the last one expired at 10pm.

I have a questions on the filtering system and I know this may not be the right forum, however you have all been great, and being I want to again have loaches I suppose this is justifiable.

My tank does not have a UG filter (I have heard may arguments for and against) I instead have a Whisper carbon activated filter.

These questions are based on what I have read about cycling, however, I have not seen addressed in regards to cycling and filters.

Here is what I have read: (comments definitely wanted here)

1) UG filters are great for establishing the biofilter. (True or False)

2) Without a UG the natural Boi-filter is harder to establish. Reason claimed: the bacteria uses the substrate to colonize in and the UG pulls the toxins through. If there is no UG then the bactreia will not establish in the substrate as there is no water flow. (True or False)

3) Without the UG and using only the Whisper carbon filter, and a few fish recommended in my past post, a natural bio structure will never develop as the bacteria do not have a medium to establish in. (True or False)

4) I need to toss the Whisper filter and buy a Bio-Wheel filter. (True or False)

Of course my LFS is more that happy to answer just to sell the filter of all filters 8^(

So I need to rely on the knowledge and experience here.

Thanks in advance,

-Luke

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to