Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

I need more tanks! (long message)

Posted By: Dave Guest <d.s.guest@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Sunday, 14 January 2001, at 7:54 p.m.

Hello everyone! Don't you just hate walking around a new store looking at all these different fish you've never seen before but have no room for? I was at such a place today, on the advice of Martin after last week's telephone conversation. He told me there were some giant kuhli loaches and loads of odd-balls at this place just north of London so I decided to make a day trip down there with my girlfriend.

Man-o-man!! This place was full of loaches! Here's a brief summary:

In the coldwater section there were 3 different "gastromyzon" type species, Cobitis taenia, dojos, 2 different Nemacheilus species, plus something they called a "spotted hillstream loach".

In the tropical section there were (get this): Botia striata, dario, rostrata, histrionica, sidthimunki, macracanthus, almorhae, superciliaris, Leptobotia guiliensis, Pangio pangia, sumatranus, semcinctus, Acanthocobitis botia and at least 4 different Nemacheilus/Schistura species (scaturiguna, notostigma plus a couple I couldn't identify)! Wow. They also had oodles of other oddballs that I'd never seen before, such as various Garra sp., Chrossocheilus sp. , loads of gobies, something they called "Asian anableps" which were similar to regular anableps but more cylindrical, and much much more.

I ended up buying 3 Botia histrionica for my newly moved and almost empty 30 gallon tank, 7 "Danio nigrolineatus" which I think are probably Brachydanio nigrofasciatus but are too small to identify positively at this time, for my newly moved and totally empty 20 gallon tank, and 2 Botia rostrata to go in with the sids and other rostratas in my 40 gallon tank.

What a day I had :-) Took me about 2 hours to get there but it was well worth the trip. If anyone else has easy access to North London then you simply have to visit Hertfordshire Fisheries, near St. Albans off junction 21A of the M25.

Dave

Messages In This Thread