Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

dye injected botia

Posted By: CADE <cadeloach@aol.com>
Date: Tuesday, 16 January 2001, at 11:26 p.m.

Yesterday I visited a lps that I'd never been in before. I was thrilled to see several botias not stocked by the stores I frequently patronize.

I purchased some skunk botia, golden zebras, striata, blue botia and redfin botia. They also had some zippers, queens, yo yos and a few others. (but surprizingly... no clowns!)

Today I read an article on-line about some fish dealers who inject certain botia with bright dyes to make them more attractive. I'm worried that my blues might be victims of this practice. They are a very ususual shade of teal blue with bright orange fins. Here in Florida, they might be called "gator botia" but since I'm not a gator fan, we won't call them that. (OK?)

You can be sure that I will share this article with the lps. Does anybody know how I might determine whether my botia are