Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Help! My loaches are acting up!

Posted By: AmyH <ahorton@intranets.com>
Date: Thursday, 25 January 2001, at 12:58 p.m.

Hi there! I had 3 clown loaches in a 29 gal tank with 4 dwarf blue gouramis. They've lived in peace with one another until recently. I came home from work a month or so ago and found a partially eaten gourami in the loach cave (one of two). Immediately, I assumed someone was sick, so I placed the remaining gouramis in a quarantine tank. I kept a careful eye on everyone, and no disease manifested itself. After 3 weeks, moved the gouramis back to their old pad. Then...the massacre. Last night I watched as the largest of my loaches and a compadre grabbed a gourami, dragged it into a cave..and well, you can guess the rest. They started ripping it apart, and I had to rescue it. Alas, the tortured gourami is no more.

Is this common behaviour for loaches? Up until thi