Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Survival of koolie loaches out of water?

Posted By: Tam Orr <tam.orr@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sunday, 18 February 2001, at 4:44 p.m.

I know that clown, orange finned and many other loaches have a good survival rate out of water - from my own experiences and those of others.

I have recently had some bad luck in my first purchases of koolie loaches. I now have 3 who seem to be contented and after the stopping up of all gaps and lowering of the water level - safe.

I lost 3 or 4 who ended up on the sliding condensation flaps and died in the night (I even put one back in the water for a while hoping for the usuall miraculous healing).

I have made my own assumptions but can anyone confirm? - I guess as koolies are built diffrently they lack the usuall 'out of water' abilities of your average flat bottomed broad bodied clown type loach?

Thanks
Tam