Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Killer Blue Botias

Posted By: V3rt|g0 <yasdenvassant@hotmail.com>
Date: Sunday, 18 February 2001, at 5:05 p.m.

Well, our two blue botias that we purchased about a week ago have now killed 3 fish. The first was a baby clown about a day or so after we got them. The second was another baby clown about 3 days ago. After those two deaths we became a little suspicious that they were the culprits, but weren't quite certain on it because they were fairly new and we're still treating the tank for ich.

However, last night, when my fiancee turned on the light for feeding time, a new death made us both almost 100% convinced they were doing this. Our female swordtail was lying at the bottom of the tank, her innards almost completely gone. She had been very very pregnant before this. Her intestines, and the entire contents of her head were completely gone, just a shell left. Her tail and everything else had been almost completely untouched.

This morning when I woke up, I was watching the blues and noticed one of them peeking out of a hole. To my surprise, two small razors suddenly shot out from underneath his eyes, then retracted.
I knew that yoyos had this, but I wasn't aware that blues did, as well.

Does anybody know how we can prevent them from killing more of our smaller fish? We have 4 glass catfish, 4 gold skirt tetras, 1 male swordtail, 2 baby clowns, 1 baby yoyo, and 2 bigger yoyos. All of these fish the blues charge when they get too close. The 4 large clowns they don't bother, for some reason. Would getting more blues help fix this problem? Or should we take them back? I read somewhere that 1 or 2 blue botias are more aggressive compared to having 4 in a tank. We do feed our fish twice a day, so we're not quite sure about what's going on.

Can anybody help us, please? :)

Thanks again!

V3rt|g0

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to&