Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Dying Black Kuhli Loaches?

Posted By: Rust Rose <iirustroseii@aol.com>
Date: Monday, 19 February 2001, at 2:41 a.m.

Hi. I'm new to the Loach fanaticism. I bought two kuhli loaches and two black kuhli loaches (as later indentified on this website) about two or three weeks ago because they looked kool (so sue me :). I put them in my aquarium which is not monitored (ph, alkalinity, and whatever else I'm probably supposed to be doing) because I don't know how to. Plus, I'm pretty poor so if it involves spending anything over about 20 bucks, I probably can't do it. Anywho, since purchasing these loaches I've become quite attached and now they're dying and I don't know why. The chick at the pet store made it sound like they would take no extra effort to take care of so I'm kind of confused and angry. The two kuhli loaches dyed within a few days, they hid under a rock and I had to fish them out when I noticed they weren't swimming around anymore, so I'm figuring they just weren't compatible with some aspect of my aquarium. The black kuhli's seemed to do great however, and swam around a whole bunch and ate a lot on the bottom of the tank. A little less than a week ago, they both hid in the rocks somewhere and I didn't see them until day before yesterday, when they came out and were swimming around, one like it was fine, and the other looked like it had lost almost all it's black color and was acting a little sickly. I did about a 70% water change and put some dechlor in and the next day he had regained his color and acted fine again. Now today he is flipping in circles at the top of the tank and laying there like he's dead. I looked at him once and it appeared that he was not breathing, but his heart was still beating and I poked him and he swam around some more and then was floating again. He's been doing this all day long and I don't know what to do, if there's anything I can do. Does anyone have any idea what I should be doing, because I'm really attached to my loaches now and I'm really angry they didn't tell me how to take care of them when I bought them. The aquarium has the two black kuhli loaches, two african black frogs, and four feeder goldfish which have lived for a few months now. Thank you and feel free to email me.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.