Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Kuhlis and botias - idle thoughts & a question

Posted By: Eric <crowshaven@peoplepc.com>
Date: Thursday, 22 February 2001, at 6:53 p.m.

I've kept up with this board to cover Kuhli issues for some time now, but now that I have my skunks I'm checking out many of the posts on the whole botia group. I've noticed that while aggressive botias might nip nearly everyone else's fins, they tend to leave Kuhli loaches alone.

Just wondered if anyone had any theories on this. Several fish books I have read have called Kuhlis shy, and stated that they are easily outcompeted by other bottom feeders, but this does not fit my Kuhlis who outmuscle their way into a fray of female bettas, skunk loaches and a paradise fish who are all picking (more like a shark frenzy) at a sinking shrimp pellet on the gravel, the Kuhlis slinks in, then it will pick up the pellet and