Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Unexpected find: a new hillstream loach!

Posted By: Francis Lynch <flynch@interaccess.com>
Date: Friday, 23 February 2001, at 6:05 p.m.

I went to my favorite LFS yesterday to pick up my biweekly batch of live blackworms, and did my usual scan of the freshwater section to see what had come in. I try to make a point of looking carefully in every tank, even if the labels don't list anything of particular interest, and this time it paid off. There in the back of a tank with some knight gobies and some gold barbs was a small hillstream loach of a type I'd never seen for sale before. They sold it to me for the price of a knight goby on the assumption it came in with them.

This was a particularly gratifying find for me because I had been looking for hillstream loaches ever since my four lizardfish (Homaloptera sp.) were unwittingly killed last November by an ich med