Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

"Tiger algae eaters"??? *PIC*

Posted By: Katy Richter <redkat@gmx.de>
Date: Saturday, 24 February 2001, at 11:24 a.m.

Hi, first of all: I'm new to aquariums. When I wanted to buy algae eaters as my first couple of fish, the guy in my zoo store gave me fish he called "Tiger Algenfresser" (that's German for "Tiger Algae Eaters").

These fish are very interesting to watch and soon I found out that they are some kind of loaches. They don't eat algae, though, so I inquired at the zoo store again. The guy only said that they're a new breed, that they don't have a Latin name yet and that they cannot be found in any fish books yet.

He said that they do eat algae and showed me the tank where they had an algae covered stone with lots of fish nibbling at the algae - except for the algae eaters which simply hovered above the ground. When I pointed that out, he simply repeated that he just got them, that they're new and that they eat algae. Well, I know better. What they ate was all my snails, but nothing else.

So now I'm kind of lost because they won't eat anything what I offer them. I already asked all my aquarium friends for snails (they're happy) but I'd like to get more hints about loaches.

I will buy sand for them because they seem to like digging a lot, but I'm at a loss when it comes to food. They don't seem to like anything I offer them, no frost dried Tubifex worms, no tablets. At least they just nibble a bit and dart off again. After a long while the food has disappeared, I don't know if they finally ate it or whether it simply dissolved. Could these loaches be slow eaters?

I attached a picture of the "Tiger Algae Eaters", hopefully somebody will recognize them? They are about 4cm (1.6 inches) long.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.