Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Loaches Being Bred Commerically in Florida

Posted By: Francis Lynch <flynch@interaccess.com>
Date: Thursday, 15 March 2001, at 12:38 p.m.

I did a search recently for "Botia rostrata" and discovered an interesting web page, whose link is attached below. This is old news, since it dates from over a year ago (March 11-12, 2000) at the Florida Tropical Fish Farms Association annual fish show. The mention of Botia rostrata occurs near the bottom of the page, where Ekk Will Waterlife Resources is listed as having taken first place in the Edward Levey Memorial Breeders Award for Sergeant Loach (B. rostrata). On a page from the FTFFA website (see FTFFA Fish Show) one learns "this class is for species never having been commercially produced in Florida by an FTFFA member", which implies that Ekk Will Waterlife Resources is now breeding B. rostrata commercially.

Now take a look at the page below, and check out the video clip associated with third place in the best new egglayer category. It's labelled very oddly, in my opinion: anybody out there ever heard of "albino koi zebra botia"? The name doesn't really make any sense, but the video clip shows what appears to me to be a whole bunch of B. almorhae, AKA Yoyo loaches. So this would seem to imply that New Life Exotic Fish is breeding B. almorhae commercially. (There's a very faint audio portion to this clip which I can't quite make out; anyone else have a better sound card?)

Anyway, I think it's great news (if true) that two of my favorite loaches are now being bred commercially (although I haven't seen any rostratas for a long time here in the Chicago area), and perhaps it's a sign that more Botia species will be bred in the future.

Florida Tropical Fish Farms Association Show clips

Messages In This Thread

<