Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Are weather loaches algae-eaters?

Posted By: Len Collum <vx30@netlineuk.net>
Date: Saturday, 17 March 2001, at 6:26 a.m.

The fish shop where I bought my weather loach sold me algae wafers (for plecostomus and alge-eaters) when I asked for loach pellets. A friend of mine however claims that weather loaches are not algae-eaters.

My loach (Ken)is sometimes seen sucking around the glass, although he doesn't make any impression on the algae there. My research on the net only reveals that chinese loaches are classed as algae-eaters, and that weather loaches are omniverous.
So what is the answer?

Ken will eat these wafers although he seems to keep trying a bit and then go off looking for other food. It's hard to see what's happening exactly as I put the wafers in at night. The other fish do seem to eat the wafers (especially the lionhead) as the next day or so their poops are