Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Help - Clarification on loach clasification

Posted By: Tam Orr <tam.orr@bigfoot.com>
Date: Saturday, 17 March 2001, at 2:43 p.m.

I have a 'little trouble' clasifying some of the loaches in my local fish shop. The guy there is a little general with his names - most are called candy botia or 'marbled' loach.

Anyway I went to 'swap' some livebearers (too many babys - rather fill the space with another loach!!) for a couple of young horsefaced loaches and as I am a sucker for a loach that has been left on its own I came home with a 'marbled' loach. Looking into it it looks like a yo yo loach as identified by the pictures on the yo yo info page on here (http://www.loaches.com/yoyo.shtml) and this would be Botia almorhae but at the bottom of the page on yo - yo's there is a picture of a pale grey / silver loach that looks like the 'Pakistani loach' (Botia lohach